CAREERS SUPPORT AT NEW RIVER COLLEGE
We will support you throughout your time here to learn the new skills to be able
CAREERS SUPPORT AT NEW RIVER COLLEGE
Word from the Career Lead
We will support you throughout your time here to learn the new skills to be able to move forward. Year after year, more and more of our school leavers successfully move to either further education, apprenticeship/traineeship or employment with training. We have a high expectation that our students (you) will do well.
Our Commitment to You
We are proud to offer you the following services to help you navigate in your transition to Post 16 options:
- Career Information and Guidance provided by Qualified Advisers with good labour market knowledge.
- Impartial and unbiased information regarding the qualification and career paths that suit your interests and skills.
- Opportunities to meet top London employers, apprenticeships providers, explore further education options and career events that are too hot to miss!
- We will support you in enhancing key skills employers are looking for and life skills.
- We will help you research, apply and prepare for interviews so you can attract employers.
- We will help you access work placements and vocational opportunities.
- We hope to broaden your knowledge of the World of Work, your networks and horizons.
Your commitment to Us
Your future success is down to you and the effort you put into your learning and future planning.
- Attend school and classes. Good attendance sets you up for a strong future!
- Participate in AC curriculum and consider work experience placements as these activities will add to your CV and help you acquire new employability skills.
- Engage in constructive discussions with career advisers, career lead, tutors, employers and staff about your learning, future aims and progress
- Take part in events we organise to enable you learn new skills, meet employers who want to invest in you, investigate all options to choose a pathway that suits you.
- It is important that you attend Open Events of the colleges offering courses of interest to be able to compare and make the right choices; attend college and other interviews to secure a place before September 2019
- Attend careers fairs/apprenticeship/job fairs to explore your options,
- Offer feedback and ideas on how we can improve our careers programme.
CAREERS EDUCATION AND GUIDANCE
Our programme of Alternative Curriculum and Career Education helps our young people prepare for adult life, and this starts as soon as they arrive at New River College. Each student has access to Unifrog (our Career Guidance Tool) as well as our Career Advisers. Through meetings with our qualified career team, employers, visiting speakers, off-site visits, work experience and PSHCE lessons, students are supported to explore possible avenues they may take in future in order for them to have the best start in life. All students from Years 7 to 11 take part in an annual Career Week that takes place in March.
We foster close relationships with a number of local employers and further education providers to offer employability-related alternative curriculum across all year groups.
Our professionally trained Career Advisers provide one-to-one support on and off-site, assistance with application forms, preparation for interviews and independent careers guidance to encourage students to consider all the options available to them at each transition stage.
We encourage all parents and carers to contact our team, accept invitations to take part in our careers and information events and use the links provided below to support their children at home.
As a school we are currently working towards achieving Quality in Careers Standard
OUR CAREER ADVISERS:
Post 16 Progression Adviser, New River College, Children’s Services, Employment, Skills and Culture, Islington Council
Tel: 0207 607 6500
Mob: 07802 720 342
Progression Adviser, Alternative Provision, Children’s Services, Employment, Skills and Culture, Islington Council
Tel: 020 7527 7025
Mob: 07825 098195
Unifrog is an award-winning online platform which helps students make intelligent choices about their futures, while allowing teachers to track their progress.
New River College subscribes to Unifrog services. Unifrog allows students to use data to decide which route to choose after school, helps students avoid common decision-making mistakes, and lets teachers track where their students have got to in making their choices.
As well as making it easy for students to use multiple data points to compare individual college courses and apprenticeships, Unifrog is unique in allowing students to compare going to university with doing an apprenticeship.
|The National Careers Service https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk
provides information, advice and guidance to help you make decisions on learning, training and work opportunities. The service offers confidential and impartial advice. This is supported by qualified careers advisers.
The National Careers Service website aims to:
· help you with careers decisions and planning
· support you in reviewing your skills and abilities and develop new goals motivate you to implement your plan of action
· enable you to make the best use of high quality career related tools.
is a free online library of careers related film, news and information. As the preferred digital new media partner to the Institute of Career Guidance, the largest careers body in the UK, Careersbox aim is to deliver a new way for students to explore their skills and career options.
|Plotr https://guest.startprofile.com/ is a website created to help 11-24 year olds discover and explore careers they will love. It’s built around the Game which uncovers careers matched to their skills, interests and personality.|
|icould https://icould.com/ has a range of video clips showing real people talking about their jobs and careers.|
|Plan your study & work. https://www.careerpilot.org.uk/ Your choices at 14, 16 and 18, explore different job sectors and how you can study and work at the same time – even to university level.|
|Success at School https://successatschool.org/ is the place for young people to explore careers, get the lowdown on top employers, and search for the latest jobs, courses and advice.|
|The study guide section within youthspace http://www.youthspace.haringey.gov.uk/ contains a range of information including help on making options choices in Year 9, post 16 options, and getting into higher education.|
|Central Governments dedicated apprenticeship website https://www.getingofar.gov.uk/ has a whole range of information to help young people decide if Apprenticeships are the right route for you. You can also search for apprenticeship vacancies.|
|Izzy-info.com||Izzy-info.com izzy-info is the Islington Council website for young people, packed with information and advice, details of local youth organisations, plus things to do and places to go.|
Researching and making choices 16+
Islington Council Apprenticeships https://www.islington.gov.uk/jobs-and-careers/apprenticeships
Apprenticeships & Training
☐ www.apprenticeships.gov.uk (including Traineeships)